Things We Love: The Perfect Sips for Summer Soirees
Although summer doesn’t officially roll in until June 20, we’re a little bit giddy over the fun Summer Soirees this season brings us! And Chalkboard China believes no summer party is complete without that cool, refreshing cocktail that makes all of your guests say “Wow!” and “Ahhh!”
To help our happening hostesses get ready for the season with unique drinks, we thought we’d compile a list of some of our favorite summer sips from our favorite place to find recipes, Pinterest:
1. Plum Sangria from Country Living
Our friends at Country Living offer up a plum sangria recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to make and is perfect for any occasion, whether it may be a causal poolside BBQ or a more sophisticated party with friends. Pair with our Chalkboard China Red Wine Glass and garnish with fresh fruit peels for a fruitfully fun way to sip on this classic summer drink.
Plum Sangria Recipe:
1 bottle of dry red wine
1/2 cup triple sec
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup orange juice
2 purple plums, pitted and cut into thin wedges
2 red plums, pitted and cut into thin wedges
3 strawberries, hulled and sliced thinly
2 stick(s) (3-inch) cinnamon
Ginger ale, chilled
1. In a large container, stir together wine, triple sec, brandy, and orange juice. Add fruit and cinnamon sticks. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
2. Serve in Chalkboard China Red Wine Glasses with ice and top off with ginger ale.
2. Peach Margarita from Martha Stewart
Since Chalkboard China is a Dallas, Texas-based company, we know it’s not officially a Texas summer until you sip on that first margarita. Martha Stewart changes up the traditional margarita into a peach margarita that’s just, well, peachy! ‘Wow’ your guests with this cocktail poured into our Texas-sized Chalkboard China Margarita Glasses and add their names to the base. There will be no wine charms necessary at this get-together!
Peach Margarita Recipe:
1 pound (about 3) ripe peaches, bottoms scored, plus 2 more peaches, for garnish
3 tablespoons (2 1/2 ounces) orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
3/4 cup (6 ounces) silver tequila
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cups bottled peach nectar
8 mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Prepare an ice-water bath. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add 1 pound peaches, and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to ice-water bath to cool. Remove peaches from water.
2. Peel and halve peaches, and remove pits. Slice peaches into wedges, and transfer to a medium bowl. Toss with orange liqueur, sugar, and salt. Cover, and set in a warm spot until peaches give off juice, about 20 minutes.
3. Puree peach mixture in a blender or a food processor until completely smooth. Immediately stir in tequila and lemon juice. (Peach puree with tequila can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 4 hours.) Transfer to a pitcher, and stir in peach nectar.
4. Fill each of 8 tall glasses with ice, and garnish each with a mint sprig. Cut the remaining 2 peaches into 8 thick wedges, cut a small slit into inside curve of each wedge, and place one wedge on rim of each glass. Divide margarita among glasses.
P.S. We also love the idea from one of our favorite happening hostesses, Camille Styles, for a margarita bar. We think it’d be a huge hit at a summer bridal shower or just a day with the girls!
3. Watermelon Martini from Better Homes & Gardens
Better Homes and Gardens brings another change to a delightful summer drink. At your next garden party or perhaps a picnic by the beach, serve up the Watermelon Martini for a tart and tangy treat on a hot summer day. Chalkboard China Martini Glasses make the perfect holder and you can garnish with pink fruit slice candies and sugar along the rim to go along with the drink.
Watermelon Martini Recipe:
5 cups watermelon cubes (rind and seeds removed)
3/4 cup lemon vodka
6 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons Cointreau or triple sec
3 tablespoons sugar
1. Place watermelon in blender. Cover; blend until smooth. Pour puree into a pitcher and keep very cold, even a little frozen to make it icy.
2. For two martinis, add one cup of watermelon puree, 1/4 cup of lemon vodka, two tablespoons of lime juice, one tablespoon each of Cointreau and sugar to the blender with three to six ice cubes. Cover; blend until slushy. Makes 6 large martinis poured into our Martini Glasses.
Now that we’ve shared some of our favorite summer drinks, we want to know yours! Drop us a line with your sensational summer sips in the comments below!