Things We Love: SXSW
Get ready, the fun of SXSW begins March 9! One of our favorite times of the year, SXSW is an annual film, music and interactive festival held in March in Austin, Texas. We love the atmosphere SXSW brings to one our favorite cities and, of course, you can’t forget the amazing talent that’s there, too! The Interactive portion showcases panels, interviews and more with industry leaders like Camille Styles. You can catch some of the best in local and national live music during the Music week of SXSW (and there are free shows, too). And the Film segment offers inspiring, artistic films that you won’t find anywhere else.
Whether you’re heading down to the fest for the first time or you’re an experienced Austinite looking for a few must-dos during SXSW, never fear! We’re here to help with the Chalkboard China Guide to SXSW:
1. Attend free shows at Auditorium Shores.
Just because you didn’t purchase a SXSW badge doesn’t mean you have to miss out on the music. During the fest, there are tons of free shows and parties that you can attend for, well, free! We love packing our bags for a day of free shows held at Auditorium Shores by Ladybird Lake. We’ve been able to see She & Him, Cold War Kids, and so many more fantastic acts throughout the years and we’re sure this year’s performers, which include The Shins and Counting Crows, will deliver again!
2. Enjoy a cup of coffee and gingerbread pancakes at Kerbey Lane Cafe.
You’ll need to fuel your body for all of the exciting and fun things SXSW presents. One of our favorite local spots to hit up before heading out for the day is Kerbey Lane Cafe. Fill up on their signature gingerbread pancakes and a cup of warm coffee or opt for a plate of yummy breakfast tacos concocted to your liking. Either way, you’ll be ready to take on the SXSW day with a meal from Kerbey Lane.
3. Shop amazing gifts and more at La Fleur Vintage, Breed & Co., C’est Chic!, Sanctuary and Tesori.
While you’re in town, you’ll need to pick up some souvenirs! First, grab all of the SXSW swag you need and then venture to some of Austin’s best shopping spots with our guide:
• You can find beautiful vintage finds and everything floral at La Fleur Vintage.
• Your home needs will be taken care of at Breed & Co.
• You can feel very chic when you stop by C’est Chic! and browse the home decor, gifts, jewelry and more that they sell.
• Sanctuary on Bee Caves Road provides the beauty of simplicity by featuring modern lines from local, independent and established designers.
• Tesori is a boutique with the cute gifts for everyone on your souvenir list.
You can find Chalkboard China at these shopping destinations, too!
4. Sit down for cocktails at the famous Driskill Hotel.
An Austin, Texas landmark, it truly doesn’t get more elegant than a nice evening for cocktails or dining at The Driskill Hotel. The Driskill Hotel remains a legendary landmark of Texas hospitality, which our designer, Candace Jean, knows all about as southern hospitality is just one of many threads you will see woven through everything that she represents. Make your reservation for drinks or dinner at The Driskill Hotel during SXSW today!
Are you heading to SXSW this year? Share with us what you’re the most excited about in the comments below!